Sunday, January 24, 2010

Charity Quilts

2 weeks ago I had nothing to load on my machine, so I called the American Hero charity (for wounded soldiers) and asked for a quilt, they needed to get more batting, so it would take a week before I could start that one. I went to my guild my meeting this month and grabbed a charity quilt to work on. This quilt will go to a cancer patient. It was yellow and cheery and of the 3 there it was the one I wanted to spend the week with. The focus fabric was floral, so I did a panto called rhapsody, very floral . The top and backing were very light, so I used a cream thread. The quilt top was simple and I wanted to add texture but not overpower the quilt with the quilting.
Here is the whole top.....

Here is a close up of the pattern....
A little further, you can see the texture....
And the back....

Here is the other charity quilt, I will start it this week. It has beautiful dark green fabrics, so I am using a dark green variegated and dark green solid on the back. The is lots of open spaces, so I chose a feathered plume pantograph.
On the design wall I have the 2003 Quilt Shop Hop quilt, I will move and arrange the blocks and piece soon. This quilt is special to me, I began piecing these blocks in the fall of 2003. Claire was about 6 months old and I was trying to fit quilting back into my new hectic life with a baby. Warren read books to Claire every night and we moved a chair into my sewing room and added a basket of books. Warren would read to Claire for an hour or 2 and I would piece a block. I did about a block a week from this shop hop. Then it was stored away once the next shop hop came along. I have always tried to finish the last shop hop before the next shop hop, so I could get a completed quilt hung in a shop. Maybe next year will be my year. :)


Pictures of the second charity quilt next weekend!
Happy Quilting!
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment